Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Installing a new gas fireplace insert at the house. The wood burning normal fireplace never drew properly and would always back up into the house. I think too big, too big of a chimney and firebox, could never get it hot enough to draw properly.

Had someone run the gas, I ran the electric, that's all done. Next step is dropping the flex pipes down the chimney and putting the new cap on (removing the old one, but it looks like it's screwed on, so I'm hopeful it's easy to remove). Renting a 32 foot extension ladder. The chimney crown is like 24 feet I think, plus a couple for the flue above it. Not looking forward to being up that high. I don't like ladders that much. I'm buying a ladder stabilizer for the top at least, to help me out a bit. I wish I could stand on the roof, but the flue is probably 8 feet above the roof, and I didn't want to put a ladder on the roof and maybe damage it, and have to carry it up, etc. I'm a little nervous, but I'm hopefully as prepared as possible.
Listen to your wives. Apparently my wife had been trying to point out to me for a few days that you can just go up on our roof from the deck (about 8 feet) and walk from there to the high parts without any other ladders. And the flue is only about 7 feet above the roof on that side, and I don't have to be able to see down it, just reach it.

So in short, I'm a moron. I got halfway up the extension ladder, chickened out, tried to find another solution, and she pointed out I can just walk there. I think I remember her saying something about that, but I assumed the flue was too high from the roof and I didn't want another ladder on the roof, since I don't like ladders I didn't think I'd enjoy putting one ON a roof.
Likes For Flatballer: