Old 08-13-22, 09:18 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The dominance of the narrow racing tire on bikes is over

The dominance of narrow racing tires on bikes is over. Prior to the mid 1980’s, almost every bike could fit a tire wider than 700x25. The popularity of short reach caliper brakes since1980 made tires wider than 700x25 difficult to fit. Most drop bar road bikes with performance aspirations came with short reach caliper brakes and only touring and cyclocross bikes were sold with drop bars and wider tires. Most touring and Cyclocross bikes featured cantilever brakes to make the installation of wider tires feasible. Previous to 1985, the widespread availability of sports-touring models with medium reach caliper brakes could be found models in the showroom.

Disc brake bikes with drop handlebars allow the use of wider tires even on professional level completion models. Initially reserved for racing on cobbles, disc brake bikes with tires in the 25 to 32 range now dominate the peloton at all major races today.

Gravel bikes also require tires in the 700x38 to 700x45 range. High performance gravel bikes that combine disc brakes with good aerodynamics offer good all-road performance. The popularity of endurance models that fit tires as large as 700x35 provide the recreational rider with both high performance and all-day comfort on a wide range of paved roads or crushed limestone trails.

I still keep one lightweight professional-level bike with rim brakes, modern carbon rims and electronic shifting. It feels retro after riding my endurance or gravel bikes with disc brakes and wider tires. If I had to limit myself to one bike it would probably be a lightweight and aerodynamic gravel bike. I really don't need a bike that can only fit a 700x25 or smaller tire.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-15-22 at 10:35 AM.
Likes For Barrettscv: