Old 07-02-14, 04:29 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcafiero
This article adds an interesting perspective on the term: Punch Bowl Social - Are you a hipster? Find out for once and for all.

But I am curious, are there people out there who admit to being a hipster? Is it a bad thing, or just a social classification like any other (some jocks will admit they are jocks. Goths might admit to being goth. Some nerds love that that's their schtick, etc)? It seems that hipster is the one classification that the people who are so clearly fitting the description run like hell from.

It's also interesting in that I have seen some very... VERY hipster looking people complain about "those hipsters".

Just trying to figure this out.
I'm still a goth, although my outward appearance wouldn't suggest it. My tastes for music, art, literature are the same, but how I dress reflects my current age and not a twenty year old version of me. I'm equally a cyclist though, and I deeply appreciate the few and far between friends that I've made that have a passion for both "scenes."

I think "hipster" is inherently different though, as the very act of identifying as such seems to be an unpopular declaration with that crowd.

Also, much of what makes a hipster a hipster is no different than what makes a current 25 year old a 25 year old, lots of the characteristics overlap with an average person in that age bracket. Drinking PBR isn't an inherently hipster thing (no idea why any one would drink it though), nor is riding a "fixee." Although, perhaps shopping at American Apparel for more than 5% of total wardrobe might be a good test to sort them out.