Old 03-02-22, 08:13 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
You raise a good point there regarding the shoes best suited for a pedal. I know this question has been asked numerous times in the past (I think I even posted it once myself) but has anyone found a good shoe to ride for clipless pedals? or even steel toe clip pedals?

I know a few places make new retro leather shoes for riding vintage bikes and pedals but someone has to make a modern comfortable shoe that's ideal for riding without having to use cleats? In my discovery, an indoor soccer shoe might be a good fit, with a hard flat sole and lightweight, breathable material. I prefer Velcro straps over laces as I've had more than one situation when my laces got caught in my crank when riding. Not fun!
I just use an SPD shoe that is not too boxy (you can find them if you look around) and use a large toe clip (MKS makes toe clips designed for modern shoes). The laces can be an issue though but likely not if you tuck the laces into your shoes on the inside.

If running toe clips and straps, I prefer a platform pedal over a quill as my feet tend to get hot boxed on a long ride with quills. YMMV on this.