Old 05-19-20, 09:14 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I never met Paul. I used to go occasionally to a shop in south Portland (Peloton?) that was a one man operation. He carried really nice bikes. Also had some velodrome worthy gear. I learned about him and the shop watching races at Alpenrose.

That was the place to go to ogle really nice bikes. But it you talked to that owner, he'd tell you the Rock Lobsters might not be the lightest, or this or that but they were simply the best he carried. And it never took long before you heard that the man behind them was why.

I've never been one for out-there paint jobs and his put more off a little. Two other builders have built me bikes. So I do not know that Paul Sadoff will ever build me one. Probably not. But it would be an honor. And more so after seeing this story.

Ben
When I first got into Cross racing there were two bikes that people really seemed to gravitate towards, Ind. Fab and Rock Lobster, always thought it was interesting how the decals were so similar in design. Last season I went to a couple of races and there were several of each represented and reminding me that I didn't have a real cross bike; I'd had a custom Harry Havnoonian but as a broke college student with a wife and mortgage I couldn't keep it more then a couple years and haven't had one for the last 12 years. A little checking an in Nov. put in an order for a nice, steel Rock Lobster, my conversations with Paul have been very informative and he seems like a genuinely nice guy that would be great to meet in person. I fully expect that the bike will be above my abilities but with any luck I'll still be riding it for the next 40 years and each year it'll get a good dousing of mud as I still have fun hitting the cross courses.