Thread: Homemade Tools
View Single Post
Old 01-20-21, 08:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Another thread tangented to a tool I had photoed and I remembered this thread. So I'm resurrecting this starting with that tool.

I am slowly replacing this tool with a newer version. The two shots above are of the first version and the current second one. Both used the same plate with Vees to locate the big ends of blades/stays but these Vees were hand cut (and by their looks while I was "distracted") and didn't hold the blade/stay ends at the same height. So making sure the two blades/stays and drop outs were at the same angle was tricky. Being able to quickly remove, file a bit more and retest the blade/stay during it's slotting was quite nice. A good tooling idea not done well.

The replacement plate end will have a longer workstand jaw holding shaft, Vees that are extremely close to being the same size and the swinging tabs will be nicer. Otherwise the same basic design. In time the axle end will get re done with a slightly wider/longer axle and a bit more stand off from the beam. The beam's length adjustment will remain. I might add a thing that clamps to the beam mid way and helps to support/keep parallel the blades/stays, like some fork jigs have. Andy
AndrewRStewart
Likes For Andrew R Stewart: