View Single Post
Old 11-21-21, 11:31 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
My experience as well. I've switched to capilene (Patagonia) Ts.
I am now wondering how much microfiber that is shedding to the environment but that Capilene does last near forever and is really good. (It should be noted here that synthetics are far from equal. Merino wool and the like is far better than many but the really good synthetics are really good. I wore expedition weight Capilene next to my skin when we left St Johns, Newfoundland on a 34' sailboat for Ireland. 1987. Days 4 and 5 - real North Atlantic storm. 60 mph sustained winds, waves to 25'. Everything was wet all through if it didn't leave Newfoundland in a sealed bag. Day 6 was calm. I put on dry, clean polypro. In 24 hours, I couldn't stand it next to my skin anymore, took it off and pulled the soggy Capilene back on . Wore it through the next storm and until fair weather 24 hours from landfall.

Now that first day of sun! Over the continental shelf of Europe. Dolphins playing around us. My brother and I took showers on deck with one of those solar bags. Soap! Clean! And then a dry scarlet union suit. Wool and cotton. Felt so good! But to that Capilene? I wore it for 10 of 11 days; taking it off once.. Neither it nor I ever saw soap. I cannot say I was comfortable- this was life at 50 degrees; air, water and latitude. That 50 degree water was everywhere. But I wasn't uncomfortable. Slept just fine in my damp thermals and damp (fiberfill) sleeping bag.

I still have that Capilene top. Heaviest thermal I've got and still oh-so-comfortable - through anything and everything,