Old 08-24-22, 10:51 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Clipless pedals were always intended as a replacement for the traditional toe clip, strap, and cleat setup that was used for many years. It is hard to imagine in any circumstance where someone would prefer a correctly tighten clip/strap setup over clipless. It is a remarkable system and few, if any, who oppose clipless ride the traditional clip/strap/cleat today. That is the context of the system.

The fact that it is been adopted by the mtb community is remarkable as few could have envisioned being clipped onto pedals when the sport was in its infancy.

One thing I’ve noticed is how few threads there are on BF about clipless systems failing. It has to be one of the best component designs out there.

John
There is one place where traditional toeclips, straps and the old aluminum slotted cleats still rule. On fix gears going down big hills. If you are geared such that you can actually ride that hill, you will be either spinning very fast or braking to limit your RPM. Over 200 RPM is easy to do. (a 42-17 goes 20 mph at 100 RPM on 700c wheels. So 40 mph is 200 RPM. In my crazy years I used to ride down Oakland's Juaquim Miller without touching the brakes. No car ever passed me.

At those RPMs you have no clue how straight you are keeping your foot. Un-cleating happens. And un-cleating with clipless at that RPM is something I don't want to do in this lifetime or the next! With those ancient toeclips and straps pulled tight, my foot's still on the pedal. All I have to do is touch the brakes, slide that foot forward and the cleat back on and swallow the heart that's been lodged in my mouth. Going up steep hills, those toeclips might save me again. Pulling a clipless off the pedal going that hard (straining to muscle the bike over an 18% pitch say) and slamming my knee in to the bars - trust me, not fun. With toestraps that strap might prevent or at least ease the impact.

If you go to the velodrome, you will still see very strong riders using toeclips and straps or at least straps as insurance over their clipless.
Likes For 79pmooney: