Old 01-04-23, 10:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Yeah, STP is not to be missed, at least once. The one-day IMO is the only way to do it. It's very well supported and a lot of fun, a whole circus of riders all heading in the same direction, all day long. Not a lot of climbing, maybe 6500' IIRC. I've done it many times. Flying Wheels is supposed to be a training ride for it.

In the early spring, it's Chilly Hilly. It's hilly, all right. A fun way to do it is to get to the ferry early and get a place near the front. Then go like stink for a while to get out ahead of all the dangerous riders and stay there. Then go around twice to make it a good long ride.

The Kitsap Color Classic is also fun, choice of different routes of different lengths.

Many people really like RSVP though I've never done it. Hopefully it'll go off this year - there've been border/COVID issues.

In terms of non-club rides I have several favorites:
Starting from the Colonial Creek Campground parking area on Highway 20, ride to Mazama and back, 100 miles, 10,000'. Or whatever proportion of that one can handle: Rainy Pass and back, Washington Pass and back, or Lone Fir Campground and back.
Starting from Ohanapecosh campground, ride over Chinook Pass, right turn at Hwy 12, then back to the campground, 114 miles, 8,000'. Have a good hydration plan for this one
Starting from Ohanapecosh campground, ride over Cayuse Pass, descend to the Sunrise road, ride to Sunrise, reverse course.
Starting from the RAMROD Deli Stop, ride to Cayuse or Chinook Pass, descend and climb to Sunrise, back to the Deli Stop.

That'll keep you busy for a while.