Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Road tubeless? No, not really.
Really.
There's an interesting discussion in the latest Velonews 'Technical FAQ' column regarding burping in road tubeless tires. It is discussed that burping of high pressure, low volume (road) tires is more likely to result in a completely flat tire than on low pressure, high volume (MTB) tires, and how this can be safety issue in some circumstances. Jan Heine wrote a blog post titled "The trouble with 'Road Tubeless'" about this same issue. In a recent edition of his Marginal Gains podcast, Josh Poertner of Silca interviewed representatives from Maxxis tires and Stan's No Tubes, and they discussed that there are not yet any universal standards for road tubeless tires and rims, and aren't likely to be for some years.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________

This weekend I had a nice ride planned with some climbing. Climbing of course mean descending. I was descending a steep climb (roughly 20-22%) at about 30 MPH when my front tubeless tire instantaneously blew off the rim.

The descent was new pavement with no debris.

It all happened so fast. A loud bang, the noise of my rim on the asphalt, then sliding and tumbling down the road with my bike.

The tire was a Specialized Turbo 2bliss mounted on a Giant SLR-1 wheel. The tire is 2 months old. The wheel is 2 years old.

The bead did not rip out of the tire. In fact I remounted the tire. I’m not going to ride it, I mounted it to see what the level of damage was.

I’ll be changing to clinchers, but I’m also looking to see if anyone else had experienced a tubeless blowout and if anyone has ideas on a cause.