Old 10-26-21, 11:54 PM
collinullrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New rider: 3.4 FTP. Good or bad?

All,

I’m relatively new to riding (been going back and forth between riding and running for some time now) and am an ex-collegiate cross country runner.

i’ll get straight to the point.

Went to the gym today to do a max effort FTP test and went out a little hard. Ended up tapping out 13:47 into the 20 minutes as I do not have the muscular endurance yet to maintain said effort. Average power was 293.6 W. I currently stand 6’3” and weigh 180 pounds or 81.64 kilograms.

I haven’t been doing much riding, maybe once a week on average totaling 15 miles a week. With an average of ~ 3.6 W/kg for just south of 14 minutes, does this indicate any kind of riding potential? I’m really intrigued and want to know if I can be good.

for the sake of background, I am a 4:19 miler, 9:02 two-miler and have a resting heart rate of 28 bpm (verified by a medical 24-hour holter monitor for premature ventricular contractions causing head-rushes and tunnel vision when standing).

any feedback (positive, that is) helps. Looking for any and all advice I can get to improve my stats. Thanks!

best,
collin