Old 09-08-22, 07:52 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,871 Times in 1,065 Posts
57cm Tommasini Super Prestige 11spd Shimano 105 Build - $1,850 (Beacon Hill)

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...519485846.html

Classic style + modern performance!

Selling this custom Tommasini Super Prestige built up with a fully modern Shimano 105 groupset (11 speed). Bike is an absolute riot to ride.

Specs are below, but some background on the build first:

I built it over the worst of COVID for a friend who was interested in the sport but never committed enough to make the investment. It has only seen the road in its current configuration a handful of times. The 57cm handbuilt "red marble" Italian steel frame (Columbus SLX tubing, top of the line) was bought used in good condition (a few paint chips, since touched up, but no dents/rust etc). The friend for which this was intended wanted the conveniences of modern 11 speed, so we decided on a brand new 11 speed Shimano 105 groupset for its performance and reliability. The 700c wheelset was new-built for this bike, and is 105 hubs laced to Velocity A23 rims. For most of the other stuff, we leaned into the bike's Italian heritage, with 3T seatpost/stem, Campagnolo threaded headset, and a very spendy Selle Italia Max SLR saddle. To top it all off, we went with 25c Conti GP5000 LE "gumwall" tubed tires w/ latex tubes. Build was done by me with the help of my LBS for things like facing the BB and pressing the headset cups.

On the road, the bike is phenomenally lively and responsive, owing to it's race geometry and short chainstays. The standard diameter tubing and quill stem dampen a lot of the NE road harshness, while the Columbus SLX tubing provides enough stiffness to eliminate any sensation of "flexiness" when out of the saddle, even for me as a stronger rider at 6' and 200lbs.

With that out of the way, bike specs are as follows:

Late 80s Tommasini Super Prestige frame at 57cm c-c (seat tube)
700c Velocity A23 rims laced to Shimano 105 hubs - double butted spokes
25c Conti GP5000 tubed tires & Vittoria latex tubes.
Full Shimano 105 Groupset - 52/36 crank w/ 11-34 cassette. Rim brakes (forever!)
Campy Record threaded headset
Nitto Olympiade 115 handlebars (40cm wide at the levers)
3T quill stem (110mm)
Zipp service course tape
Generic bottle cage
3T Stylus seatpost
Selle Italia SLR Max Gel Flow saddle
let me know if I'm missing anything or you need any other dimensions! The only thing it needs are pedals - if you are interested in test riding, please bring your own (I also have SPD-SL test pedals if you bring the appropriate shoes/cleats).

I don't have a scale so I can't share the weight of the bike - it is light, but by no means ultralight (it's steel, after all). What are we training for anyways? On the road you'll be having too much fun to care. (I know, I've trained on the same steel Tommasini since 2016!).
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers