Old 06-06-21, 01:35 PM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Garmin power meter pedals on older stationary bike?

My SO has a old-style Lemond stationary bike...the kind with the big flywheel in front. She wants to be able to start doing wattage-based training. We've considered upgrading her to a Wahoo Bike, since that would actually fit in the same space in her workout area, but she's balking some at the $$$ and some at the prospect of getting the Lemond downstairs and sold heading into summer cycling season...it'll be a lot easier to get a decent amount for come fall.

I've been intrigued with the new Garmin SPD power pedals. Not cheap, and not an urgent acquisition for me, but would like to get them or something equivalent at some point for my road bike. Quite a bit cheaper than the Wahoo Bike.

Here's my question: would slapping those onto her Lemond for the summer give her reasonable results and power metrics? My concern is the reverse pedal pressure that happens when the flywheel speed exceeds the crank speed and is pulling the pedals...that's just something that doesn't happen on "real bikes".

But could go this route for the near term, and then "steal" the pedals back for my bike when we get to fall. Thoughts? Is this a stupid idea?

--Richard