Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I've waited in-line with congested traffic before and then I realized it doesn't make any sense.

Cyclists who filter remove themselves from being part of the congestion. Those cars are going to be waiting the 10-minutes regardless if the cyclist was in front of them or not. But the line up is shorter than the length of that bike.
In this case, by passing them on the double yellow then dropping in front of them at 20 MPH on a narrow 35 mph road, with few to no opportunities to pass, he didn't remove himself from congestion. He created more of it. It was very discourteous, and I don't see how that can be argued. From a safety standpoint, he passed in between slow moving lanes of traffic on a double yellow then dropped into his lane of traffic in front of the cars that he had just passed. Those cars then could not come up to posted speed, and couldn't easily pass him. I know from having conversations with motorists that this angers them. I can't see how that makes for a safer situation than simply waiting your turn. From my view his inconsiderate strategy put him in a less safe situation.