View Single Post
Old 08-05-22, 01:33 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
My recent experience with riding every day for long stretches could be interesting, but it comes with a don't try this at home warning.

My 84-year-old buddy signed up for the Huntsman World Senior Games this coming October, and he inspired this humble 64-year-old, fully detrained rider to do the same. So after essentially no riding for 7 months, I started my own personal "crash course" of training -- riding daily with no rest days.

I worked out 33 days straight (one of those days was a hilly hike because my butt was sore). Mostly endurance-tempo pace, with some threshold segments and uphill springs when I felt fresh. Easier ride if I wasn't feeling it. After day 33 ride, I was feeling quite tired, and I had a low grade fever, so I rested the next day and ate everything in sight. Thus the streak was broken. The ride after rest day felt fine, and I'm back to daily rides.

Results: In just over a month, Garmin Connect says my estimated VO2 has increased 10 points, and I've been setting PRs on some shorter uphill segments. My "best power of the year" curve is inching close to last year's, when I riding consistently. So I'm pretty happy with the progress -- and delighted that I'm still in one piece after that long bout of training.

Am I fit enough to do well at Huntsman? LOL, not even close. But I'm fitter than I was, and there's still time.

July Totals
Activities: 31
Energy: 1,072 Calories/day
Time: 131 minutes/day
Distance: 32 miles/day

Power curve comparison -- current vs last year
This is an interesting response (thanks, Terry) and gets to the heart of what was on my mind. I could give this training schedule a try. I would end up with most days being quite fatigue limited (having to make up 'lost work' using 'more duration'). Or I could throw in some days off and have many of those fatigue limited days being done at a higher level of output/effort. So which one (or if you go somewhere in between, then where in between).

8 years ago at age 65 (probably the peak year for performance for me-I restarted cycling at age 63 coming off a period of inactivity) the answer was probably 'go for the 31 days'. I think that is no longer the correct answer in my case.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC: