terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Around 1987 I had a 42-28 low gear which I used on various bikes for some time. Standard double cranks came with 52/42 rings but I could take the 7 speed cassettes apart and put a 28 in there. I did club rides in the mountains and climbed everything with those gears and I was over 220# then. I still don't know how I did it.

Now I have a 34-29 low gear and sometimes want lower. I'm also 20 pounds lighter and old age is catching up. Every ride here involves climbing.
Yes, we're getting older. But maybe using those lower gears means we're not getting weaker, but smarter.

I've been working to get back in shape since the beginning of last month, and my favorite training ride is Mt. Hamilton, with extended sections of 5-7%.

20+ years ago, I would do most of that ride on a 19 rear cog, dropping down to a 21 cog in the steeper spots.

Recently, I'm spending most of the time in the 21 cog, dropping down to 24 when I feel the need.

But here's the fun part: I'm not substantially slower, I'm just spinning a higher cadence. And my legs feel less spent at the end of the ride.

Seems smarter to me.

Likes For terrymorse: