View Single Post
Old 08-02-21, 10:59 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,165 Times in 1,324 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
once the argument about cycling hand signals is over can we start a new one over shoe laces vs velcro?

(disclaimer: my shoes have both)
Someone who is particular about overall shoe tightness might prefer laces. However, a good velcro strap system might be better for a tight and loose setup.

That said, I haven't used laced road shoes, other than the Avocet style, on my road bike. I've used velcro road shoes for decades and like the tight/loose variability especially loose in the toe box and tighter around the ankle.

I use laced hiking shoes with my mountain bikes that have platform pedals; also on my town bike.

Another rapidly diminishing, or already diminished, area has to do with clipless or toe clips/straps when it comes to laces vs. velcro. For people living in the past and still using toe clips and straps, I think there is a preference for laced shoes for easy removal. Since I've only used velcro road shoes with toe clips/straps I have not found it to be an issue.

John