Old 07-25-21, 11:48 AM
stealthfixr

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Tucson "Fred" Group Ride recommendations, please

I am relatively new to Tucson, having moved here just before the pandemic, and this is definitely a strong rider area. During the pandemic, I connected with a local bike shop group ride that transitioned to Zwift once a week. While I finished the ride with them a couple times, I really struggled to hold their pace, it wasn't no drop, it was a bummer to be 'rubber banded' back constantly and it ended up being not too fun. Anyway, I stopped attending. Now that the same bike shop is having in person group rides, I am very hesitant to attend with likely the same result, but in person. I am trying to be faster, but I am not there yet.

Please help me find a group ride like this: when I lived briefly in Honolulu HI, I joined the HI Bicycling League and joined a Saturday AM group ride from a local park. The ride was 30 or 50 miles long, no drop, and half social in purpose. With quite a bit of climbing involved, the rides were 15-16mph average; sometimes 20+ on the flat, often at 18-ish. While sometimes that group ride would make a line of riders setting a heavy pace, they were also very no-drop and often happy to loaf at a slow pace and enjoy the scenery. If someone got a flat, most everyone stopped to help. At the end of the ride, they would often have a little picnic and enjoy each others company a little longer. Call it the Biking Enthusiast Fred group ride.

Is there a group ride for Fred's in Tucson?? Not neo-pros, not 'The Shootout' group. A normal people, no-drop group ride for road cycling enthusiasts? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!