Old 08-15-21, 12:29 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
A lot of the responses make sense, but also show how individual situations vary.

A few thoughts:
As to flat protection, instead of using heavy Schwalbe Marathon Plus-Style tires, I've been considering just going tubeless and using road bike tires. Have commuted on tubed Conti 4seasons for a while and had zero punctures from penetrations over a year (just snakebites). So, switching to something like tubeless Schwalbe One tires should be reliable, but add a bit of comfort and thus speed.

A base assumption of mine for this thread is that secure indoor storage is a given (it's likely).

Over time, I have moved into the group of people who wax their chains and/or use wax-based lubes (squirt). The purpose was more to keep them clean during winter use (to not stay a lube thread: this works well for me, but I recognize that others will have differing experiences and circumstances). A nice side effect for me has been that cleaning the bike is so much less needed now. So my plan would be to just keep 2-3 chains in a wax bath rotation (or use squirt). That would not be as trouble-free as a pinion, but close to it with much less weight, cost and efficiency losses.

Lastly, I assume that (as others have pointed out), weight/aero gains will be meaningless if I have lots of cargo to haul each time. So, a little bit of storage of essentials at work and the occasional car (share) trip to replace 1-2 weeks worth of items should allow to cut down on items.

I'm not going to make this a race. But even when not cycling at 160bpm all the time, it is nice to go relatively quick. And fun, of course

Winter is a different beast, which will need its own solution (and if it's bike based, I probably already have it in my stable)

Edit: or I just upgrade my recumbent with an e-assist....

Edit2: about the route. Imagine it's your 50km Sunday ride, just each day. It's one of my favorite recreational routes, so none of the usual commuting city grind and traffic issues.

Last edited by alias5000; 08-15-21 at 12:44 PM.