View Single Post
Old 03-24-24, 01:25 AM
Mother_of_birds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Help me choose a bike after accident

I was never a 'cyclist' but I rode a lot as a kid and used to commute to work on a MTB until about 6/7 years ago I had a bad cycling accident. It was a complete freak accident that was probably 1 in a million of it happening the way it did, but resulted in me loosing 2 teeth, fracturing both wrists and getting a lot of stitches. Needless to say that after I'd healed and tried to get back on the bike I was petrified and decided it wasn't worth it and switched to walking to work. Then a year or so ago, my cyclist boss got me into zwift and I loved it - bought a mint road bike and spent a lot of time and money changing components and getting it set up just right for me. I was riding a lot, doing massive challenges and a lot of miles, probably a bit too much for an indoor trainer so ended up packing it away but now that the weathers getting a bit better here in England I have the urge to ride outside again. I now live in a city so I drove out to the village I grew up in and put some MTB pedals on my road bike because I've never ridden a road bike or been clipped in in real life before. I wanted to ride where there were few cars and where I was familiar so this seemed like a good place to start. At first the bike felt super twitchy and unsteady but eventually got the hang of riding in a straight line! The tires don't fill me with confidence at all. The roads, being in a village/back roads did have small amounts of gravel in places, uneven areas, little bit of mud and manure, and every time I approached something of this nature I was slowing way down. Corners were the worst though (since thats how my accident happened) and when there was a sharp turn I'm embarrassed to say that I would come to a complete stop and rotate the bike haha. I've seen people lean these things and ride on gravel etc so I know they have more grip than it looks but I just cant trust them. On downhills as well I was afraid of picking up too much speed and loosing control. There is this really steep hill that I found myself at the top of and ended up doing a 3 mile diversion instead of going down it. I've been out twice now so I know its not a lot but I cant help thinking I might be better off with a MTB. Its what I've always ridden in real life so I feel like I'd be more comfortable with the handling and the tyres having more tread and width might instill a bit more faith that they wont slip out underneath me. Plus I think I'd be more inclined to ride cycling/walking trails of mixed terrain where there aren't any cars to worry about, but still will be on the road at times. Do you think a mountain bike would be a good idea given my circumstances or should I perceiver with the road bike?

Last edited by Mother_of_birds; 03-24-24 at 01:28 AM.
Likes For Mother_of_birds: