Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Dang, you guys have vision...!
That sounds so much nicer than telling me that I'm hallucinating.

I'm hitting a wall here. Attempting to build a front wheel is going to send this project in a different direction. I have hubs, rims some spokes and a fork that do not fit neatly together in my Venn diagram.

The difficulty stems (no pun intended), from the fork being spaced to 90mm. I really think that attempting to spread it 10mm would be pushing it too far. I have a rim that I'd like to use that has an ERD of 584, and a hub that I could lace it to that is made for 90mm. The problem is that the spokes need to be 285mm - which is out of stock here. Alternative 2 would seem to be replacing the fork, which has a 1" diameter steerer that is 5-3/4" long... which is also out of stock.

Sooo... Plan C involves compromising on the wheelset entirely and going with what I pilfered from a Ladies' 1970 Raleigh Sports that I picked up in a thrift store in Bellvue, KY about 5 years back for $20.00. The wheels are chromed steel, heavy, and there's no way I'll be able to remove every single hint of rust that long-ago set in beneath the rim strips, but the rear is a 3-speed coaster brake, the rim diameter matches that of those Kurt sent me, they spin pretty well, and even if I can't get them any truer, they're not too far out. One way or another, those yellow fenders are going on this baby, and at some point beyond the challenge the wheels are going to change.