View Single Post
Old 12-19-22, 08:24 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
A cool, solo ride of just under 30 miles. I started in Berkeley and headed south along the foothills before heading toward downtown Oakland/Lake Merritt area, and then looped back home via the trail along the bay.

The first photo stop is one of my favorite local gems: Chapel of the Chimes - Julia Morgan-designed crematory ad columbarium. (For locals, they host an annual Summer Solstice Concert event which shouldn't be missed.)

Next up is the popular Fairyland on Lake Merritt near downtown Oakland. I used to take my daughter here when she was younger. It's not much as an amusement park, but it has a nostalgic charm to it.

Fairyland is located in Lakeside Park adjacent to Lake Merritt. The next couple photos are from within the park -- first a rotunda, and then a shot of the lake and bird sanctuary which extends onto the small islands.

Finally, a shot from the bay trail, looking across the bay toward Marin. A nice teaching moment shown below as a dad (presumably) is teaching his kids how to cast a fishing line.
​​​​​​​