Old 01-10-20, 07:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
I am looking at picking up a set of Schwalbe Marathon for an older t trek hybrid touring bike i am building up. I have built up the exact same model using 700x38 and it was just a mm away from the fender or so at the fork crown. The tires are really tall.

Curious to know if 700x35 would be much shorter..?? If it isnt id rather stick with the larger tires just because they seem more comfortable/versatile over the long haul and try and deal with the lack of clearance. In my previous build i have had sticks and even small stones get stuck in the tread and actually hit the fender at the crown. I dont suspect that little of clearance is great once you are out on tour. SOmtehing about that spells disaster...and it seems it could be avoided.
10mm of clearance at minimum. Its what I see on websites and fender packaging. You have tires that are too big for the frame to use fenders.
Or keep the 1mm of clearance and ride with an insane amount of caution since the odds of a stick or rock getting stuck in your front fender and flipping you over the bars is a lot more likely with such limited clearance.