View Single Post
Old 09-04-21, 11:45 AM
dougpgreen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lady82
That is a very informative post. Thank you!

My Sirrus X ordeal is over. After months of waiting, I finally managed to get one. Not without hiccups. But hey, all is well, when it ends well.
After reading that Sirrus X fits on the larger side of things, I ordered one in XXS (for reference, I am 5'1) when I saw they became available in a LBS. Well, that was a huge disappointment. The XXS is a really tiny bike. I was ready to cry. Then out of nowhere an XS became available at another store in another city. The overall geometry of this bike has basically not really changed from my own Vita from 2013. This geometry really works for me. I think this is where the sizing confusion is, honestly. My Vita is S, but has the same ST length as XS Sirrus. In the new Sirrus line the sizes are 1 smaller than the lines before. My husband rides Sirrus Elite 2013 in L, so he would need Sirrus X in M. For reference, he is 5'10.
I have only had a bike for a day, so it's really early to write a proper review. The colour is absolutely stunning IRL (Dusty Turquoise). The fit is amazing, and so far I found the stock saddle pretty comfortable. Microshift Advent works well. Perfectly going up and down. The best part for me so far is the fact that in this transmission I am using the whole range of the cassette, unlike Deore 6100 that I had on my previous bike. In a 30 - 10-51 set up I used the first 6 cogs...
Its interesting that you think your 5-10 husband needs a medium as I am 5-10 and my wifes medium 5.0 doesn't fit me as well as my large. It got me wondering if there is a difference in the carbon and aluminum frame geometry as most of the posts I have seen recomending sizing down come from people on 4.0s. I check the specs on both in a large and YES, there is a difference in specs on many of the dimensions. Some are subtle but some are significant, enought to change the way the bike feels. It could very well be that I (and perhaps your husband) would fit better in a 4.0 in a medium, while fitting better on a 5.0 in large. It is also interesting that the x 4.0 comes in sizes XXS-XL, while the x 5.0 comes in XS-XXL. The bottom line is not to assume that sizing advice on one transfers to the other, particularly if you are near the borderline of a size range.