Old 09-29-22, 06:41 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
Thanks for that, BlazingPedals. I've been using <a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096YVD36S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1">an interim solution similar to the powergrips</a>. While the heel cups on these keep the foot from slipping off the pedals, you can't really pull up on them effectively That's why I'm now seriously considering trying clipless. However, I don't have any place locally (Albany NY area) to shop for SPD shoes to try them on before buying. Are there good online sources to purchase from with a fair return policy? FWIW, the shoes would be used with the pedals that come standard with a Catrike Villager.<br /><br />Thanks agai!
<br />A cheap way to test out what it would be like is to buy some of that velcro "one wrap" which is double sided and run it thru the sides of your pedal and up over the top of your foot where your toes meet the foot. Someone suggested that to me a while ago. I also use this velcro as my heel retention strap and it works great. The toe velcro lets me pull and secures my foot well and I can adjust is to there is a little "float". For less than five bucks you can definitely get a good sense of what being clipped in feels like. There's a demonstrable increase in my speed when I use the toe retention and pull thru the entire stroke. You can also use the double sided velcro like the Power Grips (which I used to own) and insert it at the correct angle. I felt the like power grips kept me from moving my foot angle or it became too loose if I did move the angle, so sold them. I didn't like the tension changing based on foot position. If I hadn't just bought new 5-10's I would consider clipless because now I can definitely see the advantage. I'll be looking for some during Xmas sales that take mountain bike type shoes with inserts because you can actually walk in them, too.