Old 12-01-22, 04:56 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by VoodooSix
Greetings,

I work as a mechanic at a bike shop in New Mexico that does e bike rentals. The rains this year produced quite a lot of goat heads, and the bikes were always coming back flat. I had the owner order 1/4 inch thick by 4 inch width rubber from amazon, and installed it into the tire between the tube and tire. Most fat tire bikes are inflated to 30 psi, I ramped this down to 25 psi to account for the rubber thickness. The tires seem to be holding steady with no flats. Most tire liners are super thin, but thought hey, lets go the opposite direction, and increased liner thickness. It will add weight of course but since these are e bikes, its not really noticeable to the customer. It is possible to decrease the thickness to an 1/8 but have not gotten that far. If you are tired of changing out e bike flats this might be worth looking into.

Cheers!
That sounds like a cost effective way to reduce flats, surely less expensive than a bike specific tire liner product like Toughies. Have you tried running them with sealant instead of a liner?