View Single Post
Old 01-22-23, 01:36 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
2008/9 may not seem vintage in terms of age, but as this MTB has 26 inch wheels, a 3 x 9 chainset and a stem that has some length to it, it sure seems retro by modern MTB standards.

I've just been to collect this from the suburbs of London, a bike designed in Yorkshire, England, and built in Tennessee by Lynksey, a classic in its day and the last of an era, just before 28ers took over the world. I lusted after this when it was released but soon after started on road bikes and have been down that rabbit hole for the last 15 years, but am now back in the MTB scene pretending like 29ers never happened. There's a list of probably boring reasons why I wanted a 26er over a 29er, and this is an absolute gem that's in as new condition, reckoned to have only a few 100 miles on it since being built up new, and the group set is spotless.

I was also given another set of more XC wheels, some XTR hubs on Mavic 717 rims, so I plan to put on some slightly narrower 2.1 Racing Ralph's on them for fast urban assault riding around London, and use the meatier 819 rimmed wheels for the trails. Rest of the kit is good, Chris King headset, Fizik Gobi saddle, Thomson stem and post, but think the only other thing I'll change is to get a dropper seat post.

I've not been able to go on a proper hack on it yet as I cycled back with ruksak and an extra wheelset on my back, but can't wait to get this out and give it a good thrashing. A 2008/9 On One 456 titanium hardtail with 140mm fork travel, same bullet stays as on my 1996 Litspeed built Merckx titanium road bike.

Likes For botty kayer: