Old 05-29-12, 06:56 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
That reminds me. Any of you trying out the system should download an app called "SpotCycle". I'm sure NY's system will be on it. It will show you a map of the stations, where the closest ones are and the number of bikes/empty slots available at whatever station you want to go to. Knowing where the stations are is indispensable.
Indeed. I'm reading the FAQs and just found this:

Will there be an app to find Citi Bike stations?

The system comes with a great app, SpotCycle , which provides real-time information on bike and dock availability. NYC City Bike and the City expect that the city’s great developer community will create even more options for the public.

Overall, the more I'm reading about this, the more I'm convinced that it should succeed. The 45 minute limit should not be a big deal if there are enough bikes around to switch to another bike if you're running out of time. It takes me around 40 minutes to ride from home in Maspeth, Queens to 1st Ave and 30th Street. Therefore, I believe that most people will easily get where they want within 45 minutes. There should be stations around the bridges so I could always swap a bike if I feel that I may not get to work in 45 minutes.

But the big question is: will there be enough bikes if this becomes a popular service?

And another: will the service spread out to outer boroughs? Right now the closest station to my home would be nearly two miles away.

This could also be the one thing that will make people look different at bikes and perhaps break the spell cars have on people.

Oh, and will NYPD be required to investigate each and all accidents involving shared bikes? Right now NYPD doesn't investigate accidents involving bikes unless there is death or serious injury involved which is totally bogus and should be changed.