View Single Post
Old 09-01-21, 10:53 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
DiabloScott Oh hey, I've seen your blog about Kleins. Been meaning to email you with all the details including the serial number for you to add to the page. Can do that too with my late Chehalis built Adept too if you'd like.

retrofit Nice all original looking Pinnacle you've got there. One of these days, I'll find a mountain Klein like that in my size, tough to do when you're over 6 foot.

WaveyGravey I'd have kept the down tube shifters on mine but with the hills, I'm just shifting so often. Roads can be rough too, so one handing the bars on certain roads to shift can get a bit sketchy.

top506 Paint may be boring, but it's still a Klein and I love it. At least a thief is less likely to take notice of it if you leave it locked somewhere. Mine draws the eye so I likely will never ride it into a scenario where I need to leave it locked up for a long period of time. Got other, less vibrant bikes for that.

victorm I saw a brief bit of your thread on that bike before needing to hop off the computer a couple days ago. Bummer you had to repaint, but I'd say you've done a fine job with what you had to start with. Looks like you're nearing completion, can't wait to see it finished. For the brakes, are you going to go with canti's like it originally had or go with v-brakes?

Dean51 That thing looks stellar. Color, far as I can tell, is identical to the back half of my bike. I'd say that it's probably a few years newer than you think. It looks otherwise strikingly the same as mine, which is a '91. Mine is also a 126mm frame. I know that sizing lasted at least one more year until 8 speed 105 made it onto the Quantum Race in '93. I know the step up, the Super Race, got 8 speed Ultegra in '92 and the top of the line, the Delux Race, got 8 speed in the form of Dura Ace in '91.
So, your frame could theoretically be as new as '92. Semantics aside, it's a great looking bike and I'm digging the White Industries hubs. A friend just scooped up a '91 Cannondale Touring with the same set of hubs. I'm especially fond of White Industries since they're basically just down the road from me, I could ride there in a half an hour. Same town as old school Salsa, which is Petaluma.
P.S., I've also got a 7 speed hub I'm going to try to mate with a 9 speed older mountain cassette, just need to make the machining happen to test my theory.
Likes For Pantah: