View Single Post
Old 11-23-22, 03:31 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by heidelbergensis
Wow, you really lucked out on finding this Comp in such lovely condition, and still with the original build intact!

Coincidentally, I also acquired a '73 Comp from another user on the forum - same size as yours and everything. It's in decidedly worse condition, so I have no qualms about putting it under the torch for 650b conversion, but I'm also itching to just build it up with components from the parts bin. Needless to say, I'll definitely be following this thread.

I wouldn't think twice about having a nice newer wheelset built up, and also making slight adjustments to the original spec to make it more ridable. That's the whole point, after all!

Additionally, I can attest to the insane tire clearance on these framesets. Here are some pictures of a rough mock-up of my '73 with 32c Gravelkings and 40mm V-O fenders. It looks like your frameset has the same quick-taper chainstays and the sweet sloping Davis fork crown, so you can probably expect the same clearances:

The fork especially has quite insane clearance (makes 32s look like 23s!) bolstered even more by the fact that this is a 27" frameset.
Thanks! I already have three bikes with fenders that I run in wet or nasty conditions, so I may run this Raleigh without and fit 35mm tires with fenders or 38mm without fenders for all day comfort in the nice weather of late spring and summer.

I have thought about using Velo Orange high-flange hubs if I don't find anything somewhat period correct and in nice shape, but I'd prefer to use vintage but nearly new condition on this build. I've already sourced a TA Cyclotouriste triple as well.
Likes For Ged117: