Old 02-21-23, 03:07 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Not much to update. We are now up to 10.5mi. Rode about 7.5 miles the other day. Jeans and a sweatshirt. Simple times. Loads of fun, and really loud anytime I had to stop or remotely slow down. I need to figure out a way to record it and put a clip of it in this thread. You just can't fully appreciate it without hearing it. Its like there is a bike 'screech' language, and the Le Grande is fluent and loud! Already on it's way to becoming a full-fledged Italian

Other than that, I've got good news and great news. The donor Super Record FD has a full clamp-on mount. Of course it is the wrong size, but it is going to be way easier to deal with that than have to work around a braze mount. The great news is that this project has already garnered an outpouring of support from the C&V community here, which has taken me totally by surprise. I fully expected a lot more heat (which would have been not only fine, but justified) but everyone has been so cool. Even if there is still general confusion and that overall feeling of 'throwing up your hands' amongst some, they have appreciated the spirit of the project. I'm jazzed.

I've also been thinking of other little bits and things, a few of which are cable guides. I'm going to need a FD/RD clamp on dual cable guide for the lower downtube area. I think Campy makes one. Also, I was looking at top tube cable housing guides, and it looks like Campy does make them, but they would likely be too big for the Huffy tubes and they (along w/ that downtube guide) are horrendously expensive. I may try to make my own cable guides, out of sheet brass or something. I have a letter stamp set...I'm wondering if I can just stamp 'Campy' on them and call it a day. Stuff to play around with for sure. The weird little plastic housing holders are going to have to go, as they allow the cables to just sort of snake around everywhere.

Also, I've been inspired by some of the 'faux' or parody tubing stickers. I've been trying to do research into what tubing supplier Huffy has used in the past to get their stuff. I mean, it has to come from somewhere. If I can find out, I'd like to design a tubing sticker to put on the bike. Guaranteed genuine special low carbon mild steel.

Going to try to get in another ride today before the snow hits. I'd like to hit 100mi in less than 30 days, but there have been multiple challenges, the weather being one of the biggest. Then when I get home, its usually family time, and then the weekends the family usually has something going on, so I am going to try to sneak in small rides here and there. We'll eventually get to 100, and then the real fun begins.
Likes For AdventureManCO: