View Single Post
Old 09-02-20, 11:32 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I just don't think that I'd have the guts to "relax" my grip if I were experiencing that. So, what to do? Move the knees inward, try to pedal, and what about the upper body? Probably if I'm going that fast, I'm already down and tucked. And no brakes, I assume, however tempting?
I had a bike that seemed prone to this, about 15 years ago. No bike I've had since has done it. Not that it was a bad bike I used to have, more like the stars have to line up just right for it to happen, anybody else could ride that bike and never get the speed shimmy, like how I haven't got it on any other bike.

It only happened to me in a narrow range of speeds, like 30 to 35 mph, or whatever. So, counterintuitively, going faster can be an answer too. Only ever happened going down steep hills.

I think I remember it starting small and growing quickly. Maybe someone else can comment on this, because ever since I turned 40 I can't remember what I had for breakfast ... and it's still morning. If that's the case, stop it early.