Old 06-08-21, 04:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by scuzzo
i have seen so many 1989 and 1990 era Ti bikes posted... you buy the frame and just change out the group every few years,,, or many years... i have seen few 2000 era or 1990s carbon bikes.. that look near as nice in condition as the same era Ti bikes... not saying that folks are not rocking the old trek 5500s... but you dont seem many of them..
Maybe simply because carbon bikes have developed hugely since the 1990s. A bit like digital cameras. While Ti bikes are pretty much the same today as they were in the 90s (just with more tyre clearance and disc brake mounts, etc). As carbon frame technology matures there will inevitably be more older carbon bikes kicking around over the next few decades. I don't think it has anything to do with inherent frame longevity. Talking of "vintage" carbon frames I recently rode a friend's old custom Trek OCLV from the early '00s. The frame was fine, but I didn't get on with the period skinny tyres! My first carbon bike was a mid 90s Cadex, which I thought was pretty good at the time and you still see the odd one around today. Simple lugged carbon tubing, very crude by today's standards but reasonably effective.
Likes For PeteHski: