View Single Post
Old 06-15-21, 01:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I sometimes feel as though my hydro brakes (105 and Ultegra) have too much travel too. There's a screw to adjust the lever position, but I don't think it does anything about the travel. WhyFi would know. Fat new pads definitely help.
My understanding is that DA and Ultegra allow adjustment of brake lever free stroke, but 105 does not. I have the same issue on my Canyon, that over the 1500 miles I've ridden it, the free stroke has increased, especially at the front. I THINK what's happening is that as the pads wear the return springs are still pushing the pistons back to the same place, so the free stroke increases. It's a little disconcerting when I switch from my rim-brake bikes, because I like to keep the pads close to the rim so I get bite with just a little lever travel.

I know people will tell you that disk brakes are supposed to be self adjusting, but I think that's if there's no return spring, like in cars. I should take pictures of the gap when I change pads and then look at it a couple hundred miles later.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: