Old 06-01-06, 09:24 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
If you look at my history of posts on this board, you'll find that I'm very encouraging and open toward new riders. Even nurturing and fostering.
In this thread, I was just trying to demonstrate that there are times when the fast guys don't want to teach. There's a time and place for it. It's not in a rotating double echelon going 30pmh with sprints at 40mph. We'll be less than cordial with you at that pace, just as an 8x rowing crew, a 6-man hardcourt volleyball team, a semi-pro football team, or other athletic group would be less than civil in you hopped into the middle of their training session without the necessary skills. (Get your skills elsewhere, Dr. Pete. Not at our expense.) The difference being that we ride on public roads and can't carry a sign that says "closed practice".

The other thing I had hoped to demonstrate is that there is a LOT more to riding a paceline than meets the eye. It's a dangerous exercise that can go horribly wrong in a hurry. Anyone who denies that is hurtling toward an accident in the future.

Some of you latched onto the ego thing and the jersey grabbing thing. The fact is, there is little ego involved in this; we aren't out there trying to show anyone else up. We're just trying to go fast. Not teach. We'll do that on Wednesdays.
And the jersey grabbing thing only happened when there was a need to quickly remove an immediate threat who refused to leave when asked. And I've never condoned that course of action.