View Single Post
Old 09-06-22, 02:03 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The primary issue here is dangerous behavior. I think OP has wildly exaggerated the dangers he so very bravely faced .... as a person who has traversed the occasional MUP I have found that dog walkers with extendable leashes and walkers with earbuds are by far the greatest hazards .... what bothers some cyclists ("Strave! Strava!") is that just as roads are Obviously for cars, MUPs are meant to be dedicated bike paths, and why should a cyclist have to adapt to people using other modalities.

Seems to me the OP just wants to complain.And do i doubt he was ever in any real danger----let alone repeatedly on a single short ride---Yes. He is just yelling at clouds .... "Things were different when I was young ..... "

The real thrust here is that the OP doesn't like ebikes. He thinks only the aged and inform should be allowed to ride them .... because by gosh, if they have "bike" in the name, people are supposed to Pedal them. (As with "motorbikes," right?) He resents people riding machines which look a little like his, but aren't .... and he has to work so hard to go fast, and they can just sit there. it isn't fair!

I go into a nearby city every weekend for a specific job and see tons of people riding free municipal ebikes and scooters (well, they aren't free, you can take them with a phone or card, though, and everyone above the age of three has a phone or debit/credit card, it seems.) Despite people riding in a busy city, usually on the sidewalks, and probably never or rarely having ridden a bike or skateboard, everyone seems to do okay.

As for a lot of young people buying ebikes .... ebikes are Expensive, and lack any sort of "cool" factor, and are not real practical. You cannot take out a date on an ebike .... you cannot go out with your friends ..... they are short-ranged .... in most parts of the nation they are not year-round ... Any kid who could afford a new ebike would probably much rather have a crappy used car.

Will there be a lot in a few concentrated areas? Yeah and probably most will be rentals, older folks on limited incomes, semi-homeless poor people (surprising number seem to like that they can get motorized transport without a license or insurance.) Is it an issue? Only for people who choose to take issue with it.

What I suspect is that the OP is having a bad day and saw an opportunity to craft a rant and did .... so positive marks for creativity. Eventually the weather will change, some clouds will form, and OP can busy himself there.
Not sure why people keep bringing up dog walking. Sure they are there, but not in the same numbers as bikes / e-bikes. And there hasn't been a recent explosion of dog walkers on the trails.

For the record...I'm not against e-bikes. I realize that there may come a day when I need to ride one due to a physical limitations.

What gets me though with them is 1.) The amount of physically capable young folks on them and 2.) The folks with little to no bike handling skills bobbing and weaving all over the trail. I haven't seen that behavior on the trails prior to the e-bike craze.

Last edited by prj71; 09-06-22 at 02:08 PM.