View Single Post
Old 06-25-18, 12:09 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever

I have similar issues due to lyme disease, actually. I have to stay away from all insoluble fiber, pretty much, unless I'm having something with lots of soluble fiber with it, and even then I have to be careful. (Ie: I can have salad with pizza.)

I didn't make the comment to the OP in jest, btw. 2-4 imodium on those days where he has to get up early and has the problems described wouldn't be harmful or dangerous for him. It would probably solve his issue entirely, and the pills would have worn off by the next day.

Imodium is pretty much all that allows me to function normally in the world. I'm highly habituated and have to take A LOT. (So, of course, the kids have found a way to get high off of it, so they're starting to make it more difficult to get the supply I need.) All the prescription drug that are supposed to have the same effect turned out to, paradoxically, make things much, much worse for me. (Paradoxical responses to medications is very common in chronic lyme.) I even keep a supply of imodium in my top tube bag for those long rides.

Have you tried probiotics for your issues, rpenman? Did it have any positive effect at all? I recommend the PB8 as mentioned above just as a matter of intestinal health, not unlike a multivitamin. Have you tried taking enzymes with food? I have found both of those to be quite helpful in moderating my problems. (If I don't take the enzymes, especially with oily foods, the results can be ugly, and I have to take lactaid with the above-mentioned pizza.)
Probiotics have no effect on my problem. Folks should be aware that Imodium is related distantly to opioids, but it is not dangerous at all.

What puzzles me is folks saying that fiber helps. Fiber, soluble or insoluble does absolutely nothing good for me. I softens the stool, makes it sticky and pasty, increases the frequency of bowel movements, and causes incredible flatus. Basically I take Imodium to counteract the effects of dietary fiber. Fiber supplements are sold for the purpose of increasing the frequency of bowel movements, not slowing them down.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...