Old 06-25-18, 01:08 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Probiotics have no effect on my problem. Folks should be aware that Imodium is related distantly to opioids, but it is not dangerous at all.

What puzzles me is folks saying that fiber helps. Fiber, soluble or insoluble does absolutely nothing good for me. I softens the stool, makes it sticky and pasty, increases the frequency of bowel movements, and causes incredible flatus. Basically I take Imodium to counteract the effects of dietary fiber. Fiber supplements are sold for the purpose of increasing the frequency of bowel movements, not slowing them down.
Fiber supplements were really bad for me. I didn't understand the theory either. All the GI doctors I saw before I being diagnosed with lyme insisted fiber was the answer, somehow. I dunno. It seems like most people have more problems with constipation, hence fiber is a go-to for everything? It was like a bomb for me. Normal soluble fiber in, say, bread, or potatoes, is fine. insoluble fiber is devastatingly bad for me. Kale and the like is like a whirling blade nightmare.

Yes, Imodium is a pseudo-opioid. It's very, very slow to release, and so very little is taken up by the body. (But, of course, people have found a way to get high off of it anyway, and now it's being treated like pseudoephedine. :eyeroll: )