Old 09-10-21, 08:56 AM
Aero-X

Bikes: Factor 02, Canyon Ultimate, CAAD12, Langster SP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you certain they intended mechanical DR's to be routed internally in that frame? Or maybe there is some other place they intended you to drill out to use mechanical shifters.

I'm still in my head having trouble visualizing that the cable isn't making a really sharp bend there inside where the downtube meets the BB shell. And that will make your cable bind up and be hard to pull and slow to release.

But maybe it's not near the bend I imagine it to be.
There're the only two holes near the BB. One is for Di2 which is located on the front side of the seat tube, covered by a rubber plug. I doubt that's for mechanical FD because there's no way you can route cable through that hole. All mechanical FD cable exit holes are all on the back side of the seat tube. One of the pics below show both holes.

The bend you are talking about is the plastic cable guide sits on the outside shell of the BB. The cable guide will be snapped into the cut out. In this 02 frame, there's a carbon BB sleeve that reinforces that area where the BBright will be pressed into. This is actually a good feature, I think. Unlike my Canyon Ultimate, there's no sleeve, just a big hole cut open on the BB shell.

I doubt I want to take out my hand drill to drill a hole in the BB area on a carbon frame. Because when they designed this frame in some CAD software, that plastic cable guide cable groove should lead the cable to that exit hole. If I drill a hole somewhere else, that hole will not be aligned with the cable groove. I just created a new problem.