Old 10-16-21, 01:35 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
@reluctantsuburb,
Looking at your photos, the frame might be a size too small, or at least the seat height might be a touch low.

Try checking your leg position while coasting, after you’ve been riding for a few minutes to get in your usual seated position. Put your heel, or arch if shoes have a significant heel height, on the pedal. Your leg should then be completely straight to maintain contact with the pedal. When pedaling normally with the ball of your foot on the pedal, then the leg has a good bend, like this:

Your saddle might also be a bit too far forward. Many like to check that the kneecap is directly above the pedal spindle when the crank is forward, like this.

Only change one thing at a time, and in small increments (1/8-1/4”). Try that change for a while before you adjust farther. You’ll get a sense when you’ve gone a bit to far, so then return to the previous position. Saddle tilt is another important variable for me, after having figured out the saddle that works well for my posterior.

I'll ride alone with appropriate wrenches and a small tape measure when adjusting my “cockpit”. BTW, I put the bike on a “wind trainer”, camera on a tripod with time delay photos to verify fit and compare on different bikes. All that background detail helps visualize how my position changes. The first shot was part of a sequence comparing two bikes a few years ago, second (actually about 6 years earlier) was taken when I first got this bike to compare different stems and bar heights, and this was not the final stem choice. My stem height is now just below seat height as in the shot with the white bar tape, which works for my 72 years and loss of torso length/flexibility over decades of riding. I’m extremely comfortable on this bike for any distance that my legs, etc. can handle.

Last edited by Dfrost; 10-16-21 at 01:42 PM.