Old 04-29-21, 05:10 PM
Fenny07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Since you are on pavement or hard packed dirt 90% of the time, why are you looking at mountain bikes? Shouldn't you get something that will be more enjoyable for 90% of your rides, and good enough to get you through the occasional rough stuff?
My suggestion is to go with something with a solid fork and maybe somewhat plush tire, like the Kona Dew plus, the Jamis Renegade, or Jamis Sequel. Or a Surly Cross Check. Any of these would be a lot lighter and more fun to ride than a heavy front suspension mountain bike, at least on pavement.
That's a good point. Looking at my original post, I tossed those numbers out without really thinking on them much. We have only just started this year so if I break it down a bit more:

30% on pavement: odd running around town, friends, post office, etc... anything I could walk to, but don't want to. Also when we do the odd family rides with the 4 year old who still needs the firm ground.

30% trail riding, but relatively easier trail riding. Stuff the whole family can handle for the most part. Last year we did more paved stuff but my 8 year old has progressed a lot and it looks like we're shifting most of the family rides to the woods.

20% trail riding with the wife. This is more challenging trails (but not overly hard, no jumps or drops), speed and distance but always back country trails, no paved stuff unless we have no other options.

20% the harder more challenging runs with the buddies or practicing on my own. I'll be pushing myself, but not competitively, more for just experience, fun and fitness. Here I'll be slowly moving into jumps, drops and speed, as my courage and experience builds.

All the riding I'm doing will be progressively getting more challenging every year. We all prefer trails over paved but stick to the easier stuff because of the younger and inexperienced kids. As they get older and as my wife and I can get out more together or alone, the rides will get more challenging, rougher, faster and longer. So my idea was a bike I won't out grow in a year or two, something I can grow into as I get more experience and more time to spend on it.