View Single Post
Old 01-23-22, 07:01 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I believe the wear is due to abrasive corrosion products (rust) formed from the steel "hats" that hold the carbide studs in the tire. Corrosion is accelerated by salt used to melt snow, so if your riding is more on un-salted trails than streets, your tires may last a much longer time.
Another sign that the studs are wearing the tire is when the studs are getting "cock-eyed" in the tire. Here's an example:

This Marathon Winter has seen two winters on salted Chicago streets. Missing, corroded and cock-eyed studs are signs that the inside of the tire should be inspected. This tire was on the rear wheel, which carries more weight and (of course!) has to transmit the rider's enormous power. LoL!
That's interesting. It makes me think I should pay more attention to the studs during post-ride winter wash-downs.
I've been riding studded tires of different sorts for more than a decade (more Nokians than Schwalbes) and studs punching or wearing through the tread has never been a problem.
Something to keep an eye on, that's all.
Likes For MinnMan: