View Single Post
Old 03-05-22, 06:33 PM
oldbikenewbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
juvela, are you sure about Murray, as the chainwheel looks more like a Columbia product.

That Foremost 3 speed will clean up nicely. It will be a nice riding durable, cool old ride.
If you don't believe that thing's paint will clean up like a new bike, just go over to the c.a.b.e. forum and look at threads depicting HARPO's work.
That guy named HARPO over there is the best there is. He kindly shares all of his expert knowledge on how to turn something you'd swear would only look good on the curb on trash pickup day into something that looks almost like it stepped out of a time-warp when it was new. Harpo does this with the original paint......rubbing compound, polishing compound, multiple coats of carnuba car wax, etc.....
Like I said, HARPO is the best in the world. Go see his many transformations, that are detailed in pictures in various threads on the c.a.b.e. .
Harpo is an equal opportunity transformer, his amazing work is seen on high end bicycles as well as just as many low end common old bikes too.
One thing that is constant is that all of them turn out spectacular. My guess is that he probably sees a particular color bicycle that deserves to get transformed back to how it looked when it was new. HARPO on c.a.b.e. is the one to read & see, and to ask about how to and what you need to do it yourself in the same way that he does it. Nobody does it better. You can make that FOREMOST into a great looking & great riding enjoyable bicycle. It will be a fun weekend project that you'll certainly enjoy doing. It is a beautiful classy color, and the decal graphics appear to be in good shape. The wheels chrome will shine again. The bike is simple and isn't particularly complicated. GLENN'S COMPLETE BICYCLE MANUAL 338 pages written by Harold T Glenn & Clarence Coles (c)1973 sold probably over 1 million copies.
You can find an ex-library book copy of this book from several of the mega used booksellers on ebay for about $6 total with free shipping. These mega booksellers on ebay have over a hundred thousand ebay transactions, and they can ship books for less cost than ordinary people. You'll see a cover photo of a kid's legs riding a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed with 1 piece ashtabula crank, the kid is wearing low cut Converse All-Star tenny shoes and white athletic socks with three dark stripes.....This is the copy of the GLENN's COMPLETE BICYCLE MANUAL that YOU WILL WANT......probably 1 million+ copies sold between 1973 and 1976. Go on the bay and I guarantee that you'll find within ten days, an ex-library book copy for about $6 from one of those mega used book sellers. That and youtube and other info on the c.a.b.e. and here and elsewhere on the web is all that you'll need.
Clean it up, replace the brake pads and tires/tubes and cables, and you'll have a nice cruiser that you'll enjoy riding. It was more than 50 years ago today, Grandpa Walton got the bike you say, and saudadeii got it rolling again today...................Sturmey Archer 3 speed fan.

Once cleaned up, it will certainly be a cool old vintage 3 speed cruiser, and you'll have a great story to tell when people ask you about it.
The bicycle doesn't have to be from high class, respectable origins to be a really decent, cool bicycle!
Have fun and enjoy getting it back on the road and riding the heck out of it.

..........................ahh two do bain, bee see kletta eh munto bain parra voy seh
Hi, it's HARPO from THECABE. You're making me blush, but thank you for the kind words. juvela told me about this, and here's an example. Just the petrified

tires were changed out. All else is original.

BTW...I'm on here also...but I use the name oldbikenewbike on Bike Forums.