View Single Post
Old 02-16-14, 05:57 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I ride about 8 miles on a MUP most every day. I really don't see the majority of cyclists with the bad behavior you speak of ... they're pretty much the minority, as are the misbehaving pedestrians.

My gripe with the pedestrians are the ones who insist on running/walking right down the center of the path, and the ones walking on the bike path when there is a an adjacent surface dedicated to pedestrians (e.g. when the path is not a MUP).

I'm all OK when people run side by side to chat, even three or four abreast. But why the hell would someone running by themselves insist on running right up the center of the path? To me, it smacks of a complete disregard for others using it. It makes no flippin sense to me.

And the ones walking/running on the bike path when there is an adjacent pedestrian path? Even more galling, because to me, it makes even less sense. Same surface (concrete), the bike path is usually less well lit and has more sand on it. They are literally 10 feet apart, with exactly the same view. I generally follow Napoleon's theory on this (attributing to incompetence rather than malice wherever possible), but the same people do this day after day, and I know they've been told.

*Sigh* It's the utter lack of logic in it that troubles me most.

Anyway, there is no point in getting panties in a bunch about it. What I do is announce myself before I pass (a loud "heads up") and forget about them after I pass. I've been doing this for about 25 years now, and my advice to anyone riding on a MUP is to speak up and make sure people know you are there.