View Single Post
Old 08-14-22, 06:10 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
TPU tubes with rim brakes?

It seems the recommendations vary on this. Some brands say disc brakes only because of potential heat problems. Anyone have thoughts or personal experience with this? It seems the advantages are significant if money is no object and you don't want to go tubeless. I'd hate to plop down that kind of cash ($20-40 per tube) and find they didn't work out due to hot rims from rim brakes or some other reason. I'd try them on my disc brake bike first, but it is set up for tubeless. Also I'd never give a bike a very good test of heating up the brakes with local riding here in Florida and have no immediate travel plans to the mountains.

The weight savings of two tubes installed and one or two spares is pretty significant and they are supposed to be more puncture resistant. Are they just the latest fad or will they here to stay?

If I were to buy a new bike or build up a new wheel set the point may be moot as I might go tubeless, but for some of my existing bikes TPU tubess seem like a sensible option.