View Single Post
Old 10-27-22, 10:12 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
I think I drink more water than the average person, I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "I can't stand water, because it has no taste". Luckily, I don't mind water having no taste, I still enjoy drinking it in lieu of some flavored drink -- I guess I'm just lucky that way.

However, there is a danger of drinking too much water, without proper nutrition, especially electrolytes. When I go on 3+ hour rides under the brutal Florida sun, in the middle of a summer day, I only take water. But that's because I eat a very healthy diet, much of which is grown in my yard. But if you are lacking in proper nutrition, drinking that much water, while at the same time sweating a river, this could be dangerous. It's a condition called Water Intoxication.

It's something us endurance types need to always be mindful of. Even non-endurance people need to be careful, see below, a lady died doing some radio contest ("Hold Your Wee for a Wii" competition).

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rule...ory?id=8970712

Jury Rules Against Radio Station After Water-Drinking Contest Kills Calif. Mom

Jennifer Strange's death should be a warning to other reckless corporations.

The husband of a California woman who died after participating in a radio station's water drinking contest said he hopes a jury's $16.5 million compensation award following a wrongful death lawsuit will send a message to other corporations dealing with the public.

"It was a preventable thing," Billy Strange told "Good Morning America" today of his wife's 2007 death from water toxicity. The radio station, he said, "had the information months in advance that this could cause harm."

After two weeks of deliberations, jurors last week found Entercom Sacramento LLC, a subsidiary of Philadelphia-based Entercom Communications Corp., liable for the actions of its employees at Sacramento radio station KDND-FM, the Associated Press reported.

Jennifer Strange, a 28-year-old mother of three, was among 18 people who entered the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" competition. They tried to drink as much water as they could without urinating in a bid to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console.

Though the defense argued that Strange should have accepted some responsibility in knowing that drinking so much water was dangerous, Billy Strange's attorney Roger Dreyer told "GMA" that she acted as any normal person would have in those circumstances.