View Single Post
Old 04-28-24, 12:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,549 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I think the Chinese manufacturers have every incentive to make safe products. While they may not be able to be sued, bad quality unsafe products will be publicized on the internet. And basic desire to make a good product. Etc.
Many have responded, but ....

No-name manufacturers have every incentive ... to make money. No one knows the name ... they have no reputation to lose.

As I understand it ... a lot of engineers get out of college in China and need cash. They decide to reverse-engineer some cheap products, form a company, and sell knock-offs ... hard to picture, I know.

After a few years, everyone is ready to move on to either bigger firms, new ventures, or to escape lawsuits. Just kidding. There are no law suits because by the time the products hi whatever internet retailers, there is no legal connection to the shell corp which has its name on the product. Also, most of the stuff is sold overseas, and foreign customers who have enough money to navigate the Chinese legal system are not buying on Temu or Ali-Express. The bribes are astronomical .....

Tech equipment is cheap enough (or available enough--companies can rent theirs or sell it when they dissolve) and since there is no reason to stay with a start-up, engineers form endless strings of start-ups, hoping to at least keep the bills paid and Maybe get lucky enough to hit on a product which the market is eager for to make some bigger cash.

It isn't that these companies Try top produce trash ... it is just that when it comes to going the extra yard for quality or cutting a few corners, the immediate payoff dictates cutting corners. If some of the workers have substance abuse problems, or are just bored and depressed factory workers who don't care so long as the check clears each week ....

A few companies Do stick around ... Toseek would be one ( ) And while there are a few failures, t5here are no lawsuits (they are still buried in communist China) and also ... "publicized on the internet"???? That is what this thread is. So far I am not seeing a big impact on Toseek's production.

And if there were to be a big internet complaint .... say, if a whole run of products, not just a few, failed catastrophically ... We would then se "Tozeek" or "Toseak" parts hit the market.
Likes For Maelochs: