burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
I'll be honest, your taking segments on a TT bike would trigger the sh*t out of me. Haven't really see an epidemic of people going after segments on TT bikes in my neck of the woods. I guess if you go after segments that aren't climbs you'd have to accept that people are going to reach for the TT bike.
At first for the flatter stuff I loathed the group segment grab. But, folks are right. If you want to try to make it fair, Strava becomes a more messed up amalgamation of race categories than combining every possible USAC race group thinkable.

Like gravel segments that aren't pan flat and are technical. Unfair to let 29'er mountain bikes grab segments? They're for sure faster on some gravel near me. What about audax gravel bikes with aero extensions? Then there's sections of the gravel with, well, no gravel. It's hardpan for a couple miles. No road bikes for that section, only bikes with knobbies? Which knobbies? For mtb......mtb wheel size I would think would matter a lot. So segments for rigid vs full suspension vs 29'er, etc.? Then the whole group effort thing also. You can road bike to your heart's content solo, but a racer group is going to gang your bottom on that segment.

After folks brought that to my attention about Strava, I have the opinion that I used to when we drag raced cars............run whatcha brung. Coulda shoulda woulda doesn't mean anything.

In the end, Strava resembles team time trial, individual time trial, and hill climb. The same strategies apply.

IMO, it's also really short sighted when people say "if only I had xyz bike". Well, if you did, without putting in all the work that other person has.........you'd suck on that bike. For the flat stuff..........that's where TT and tri bike people often spend their most time riding. What are they to do? Ignore the segments? I could go buy a 29er tomorrow and still wouldn't be able to bag those gravel segments.

The equipment difference matters, but there's no way to capitalize on it if you don't work with it. It's also impossible to analyze every possible equipment advantage. I've seen road bike riders try to draft cars before.

Strava is full of "triggers". Road races passing through town. Gaimon getting a lead out on a short segment by a local stud. Tailwind enviro-doping segments. Etc.....Just gotta find your "niche" and be happy working within it.
Likes For burnthesheep: