View Single Post
Old 04-15-21, 02:57 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
My only 'fit' was a suggestion by the bike shop as to frame size when I was 15 or so... Not a lot of choices back then - every two inches in frame size 19, 21, 23, 25... The shop tried to get me to accept a 21" frame based on the standover height. That's it for 'fitting' me.. BUT, I chose a 23" frame for a couple of reasons - I figured that I'd grow into it ( but I never grew more than 1/2" after age 15 - other than bigger around!), and that the 21 felt too cramped -- fore-aft, so I preferred the more stretched-out posture of the 23, even though 'the lads' are a bit compromised if I stand flat-footed. But honestly, who does that anyway? At age 18 I bought a 'better bike' in that same 23" frame size and rode it for tens of thousands of miles as my only bike. .I simply tweaked the saddle position (height and fore-aft position, and the height of the bars) Voila! Bike fit the old fashioned way.!!! Centuries, double centuries, weeks-long tours. I still ride that 23" bike (my beloved and semi-retired '75 Fuji S-10S), with the fit the same way today.

My other bikes are likewise 'fit' to fit, although they are all 57cm... I simply adjust things after a 20-mile ride until I find that sweet spot.