urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Best practices for riding with traffic when there is no shoulder?
Honestly, the best practice is to evaluate each situation on its own. If the lane is wide enough to accommodate a car and a bicycle side-by-side safely (re: 3'+ between them), I usually ride the edge (which is required by law where I live). If the lane is not wide enough, I take the primary position in the middle of the lane (which is allowed by law where I live) to discourage cars from trying to squeeze through with oncoming traffic. If there is a parking lane next to me, I move out at least 3' to avoid doorings, and take the primary position if that doesn't leave enough room for a car to safely pass. Even if there is a shoulder, there could be reasons to ride in the lane (debris, parked cars, vanishing and reappearing shoulder, storm grates, etc.). Again where I live, cyclists are never obligated to ride on a shoulder, and sometimes it's unwise for visibility reasons.

There are tons of variations on that with their own nuances, and I also let the general behavior of drivers in that area to help me make my decisions. I'm also only human, so sometimes I make the wrong choice. Based on the recent close passes I have been getting around Chatsworth Lake, I need to take the primary position there more often.